If you prefer to make a recording using a voice recorder instead of calling in, or you live outside of the US, Canada, and Caribbean, please see this link.
Whatever you say will be appreciated, but recipients have told us that a congratulatory wish is always nice, a heartfelt sentiment is better, and the most special messages are those that involve a meaningful memory, thought, or story.
- You don’t need to limit yourself. Talk as long as you want, and call in as often as you like – up to 30 minutes at a time. Most people just talk for a few minutes, but the hosts aren’t paying per minute, or per call, so you don’t have to rush.
- If you find it easier to talk with notes, jot down the major points that you want to mention before you call in.
- Spontaneous “I just remembered” calls are nice. Call early and then keep the LifeOnRecord number close by, and if you think of something else, just call in again.
- When you call, if you ever want to start your recording over, just press the # key on your telephone. You’ll be given the option to re-record your message.
- If you called and left a message, but you later decide that you want to delete it, contact your coordinator. Your coordinator is the person who sent you the email or letter asking you to call in. They have the ability to listen to the messages as well as delete them.
- If you’re worried that you missed the deadline and have any questions about whether you can still call in, contact your coordinator. They are the ones that decide when the keepsake gets created, and they will know if you can still call in.
Here are some sample conversation starters:
“A quality about you that I really admire is…”
“A story about you that always makes me smile is when you…”
“A story or joke that I think you’d appreciate is…”
“You are unique because…”
“Something you did that made an impact on me is when you…”
“I call you my friend because…”
“Always remember that you are…. “
“You are special to me because… “
Other things that might inspire you
What experiences have you shared that you find special?
What private jokes or meaningful songs do you share?
Where do you see the recipient in the future?
What was your first impression of them?
You’ve been invited to call because you’re someone special in the recipient’s life. That’s pretty neat! Bask in that knowledge, be yourself, and have fun.